Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Johnny5  
#1 Posted : 28 August 2018 16:35:17(UTC)
Johnny5

Groups: Pending
United States

Hello. My name is Thad and I will be traveling from Colorado, USA to Inverness this October for a cycling tour around the Highlands. I will have 2 friends along for the ride with me. I was hoping someone in the local cycling club might be able to point me in the direction of a shop or location where we could rent storage space for the bike travel cases in Inverness?

Second question, if I may, would be what is typical for weather around Inverness / Cairngorns / Fort William for in early October? I've researched some online, but local knowledge is usually better than internet. We will be prepared for wet and cold, but I wasn't sure what snow fall chances are around that time. Here in Colorado we can get feet of snow in June or July or none until December, whereas most the rest of the country won't see but a day or two of snow a year.

Many thanks.

All the best,
Thad
AlanC  
#2 Posted : 31 August 2018 13:31:54(UTC)
AlanC

Medals: Member 2014: ICC Club Member 2014Committee Member 2014: ICC CM2014Member 2015: ICC Member 2015 Member 2016: ICC Member 2016Committee Member 2016: Committee Member 2016Committee Member 2015: Committee Member 2015

Groups: Moderator, Club Members, Administrators, Preview
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi Thad

I've not heard of any of the bike shops doing that but there's no harm asking. The largest local bike shops are Bikes of Inverness and Highland Bikes. There are links to both on the 'links' page on this website.

Re the weather. Snow in early October would be pretty rare but you should plan for just about anything else, except perhaps a heatwave, we've already had one this year so probably won't have another for years to come! Even when it's dry there's often a cooling wind though so layers would be a good idea.

Cheers

Alan
Johnny5  
#3 Posted : 02 September 2018 17:49:43(UTC)
Johnny5

Groups: Pending
United States

Alan,

Thank you taking the time to reply and for the helpful information. Sounds like the weather should be around what I was hoping for so late in the year.

Luckily, thanks to a generous member of this forum, we have secured bike box storage. Looking forward to exploring Inverness and the surrounding areas by bike soon. Hope to cross paths sometime.

All the best,
Thad